it bears repeating.

in october, 2008, i wrote this letter to barack obama (incidentally, its the only post on this blog, in almost 6 years of posts, that has generated hate mail).

anyway, it bears repeating. here's the link, text follows:
Dear Barack,

It's funny, just this morning as I was listening to NPR, I voiced a question to my boyfriend, who suggested that I write you. Serindipitous. But before my question, let me say:

I did watch the debates last night, and again was saddened by John McCain's failing to speak to me and people like me.

I am 33. I live in Los Angeles, where I was born and raised by a single mother, who came to this country when she was 5 years old. My entire education has been in the public school system, a system my mother believed in, not only for its price tag, but also that it promoted diversity in a city that can be very isolated along race and economic lines.

I put myself through college at Portland State University, having to wait until I was 24 to qualify for financial aid without reporting my parents' income. I worked while I went to school, so it took me a little longer than some, and I graduated in August of 2005. I was 30.

Since moving back to Los Angeles, I've worked in the development offices of 2 non-profits, both working with foster youth, families at risk, and youth empowerment. This coming November, my benefits package will take effect, and I will have health insurance for the first time since I was dropped off my mother's coverage when I was 23. 

That was TEN years ago. You bet you have my vote. I wish I could contribute money. I can't. What I have been doing, what I did on the bus ride into work this morning, was talk to my fellow citizens, ask questions, build community and, because today was special, gave away some Obama For President buttons that I purchased in August from moveon.org.

One of the major reasons I cannot contribute any more money than I already have is my student loan debt. It's over $350 a month. I make less than $35,000 a year, before taxes. I work for a non-profit. Every MINUTE of my work day is spent trying to solve problems the government can't, or won't, address. I take the bus to work. I use CFLs at home. I turn off lights when I leave the room and, Jimmy-Carter-style, put on a sweater before I turn on the heater.

Like I said, you have my vote, and I am working the streets to gather up some more for you. I know, and a lot of people around here seem to know, that you HEAR us. And feel like its been a long time since anyone has. So thank you.

Now my question: Last night, when Oliver stood up to ask his question about the "bail-out", John McCain corrected him and said "rescue plan". You went on to use the term "rescue plan" later, several times. Barack, I was an English major, and I have a problem here: "rescue plan" seems to imply that there was some sort of accident, an act of God, something unpredictable and of no one's fault, a banana peel under Wall Street's foot, and oops - broken. You and I, and millions of Americans know: not so. Please call it what it is: a bail out. And if some plan comes up to pull people out from under mortgages that they signed up for but knew they could not afford, please call it what it is: a bail out.

Otherwise, if we are going to launch rescue plans, please lets include everybody. I know a great big handful of people who work hard every day, in the community, in our schools and libraries, for our cities, for our citizens, who cannot afford their own apartment, let alone the fact that they will likely never own their own house, struggling as they are under loans that they took out (some from Fannie, mind you) to go to college. And though life would be much easier if I took me and my english degree and went to go work in advertising (at likely double my paycheck), that's not how I was raised. 

I know you are doing, and have plans to do, everything you can for us. I can't wait to see you do it. But please, in the meantime, call things what they are, if for no other reason than for the people who are out here every day knowing full well no rescue plan is in OUR future.

I will continue to talk you up every single time I get the chance. I'm going to a meeting of the Westchester Democratic Committee tonight, at an IHOP on the corner of Manchester and Sepulveda. Sometime around 7:30 pm PST, listen for us, we're cheering you on.

Best,
Lisa Sorrentino

Comments

Lauren said…
Well said. I miss your writing.