dear baby,

you have 11 more weeks in there, max, before dr. hersh sends eviction/induction paperwork in. i think that sounds unpleasant, so you'd better start thinking about bidding that uterus you've been squatting in farewell...and if you could do it before my belly button pops out (its getting pretty shallow), i'd love it.

i'm sure you've heard, your name is arlo. i was slow to come around to it (amy helped), but i'm loving it these days. i'll let you know now, as i'm sure you'll probably spend much of your life answering this question, you were not named after arlo guthrie. if we were to name you after a guthrie, your name would surely be woody. but we both vetoed that pretty fast. we just like arlo. its an old man and a little boy's name. and its uncommon, but not too. and i like writing it in cursive. you'll get that about me later.

as of today, you don't have a middle name and considering it took us over 20 weeks to come up with arlo, please be patient. one thing you should also get used to: one of your parents is an excellent decision maker; precise, opinionated and sharp. the other one is, well not. i'm not telling you who is who. wink.

p.s. your aunt nicole will probably call you jz. you will not likely break her from this habit, so just smile and own it. i think you secretly love it (i know i do), if only for how much you bump around when hova comes on my pandora at work.

xoxo
mama

Comments

oh, arlo...we are going to have so many good times.

i will call you arlo, because I love it, too. But as a term or endearment, you will always be jz to me. It will be our special thing. I'll write it on little notes to you and embroider it on the things i make you and whisper it to you when I hold you close on my frequent visits to you. I'll be saving all my extra money to do this, so I think I can give you any nickname I want. And I know your mom loves it anyway!

I love you. Hova.

Love,
Aunt nicole (we have to come up with something better than that...I'm leaning towards just No-No...it works for your mom...)
oh, and by the way, this letter kills me. i am going to be so weepy in la...just warning you. i will also touch your belly a lot....just saying.
lms said…
nicole: i was just weeping at the THOUGHT of you being here, so don't even sweat the tears. and you are totally auntie no no. which pretty much guarantees that the first people my son will be able to call by name will be you, my grandma (gigi) and my mom (vovo).